Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mary Valley Rattler - for Scenic Sunday

Some time ago we we went up to the Sunshine Coast on a Sunday to take a trip on this marvelous tourist steam train that leaves at 10.00 AM from Gympie for a two hour ride inland to Imbil, stopping at all the stations. 
The engine arrives to pull the train

Ian, a friend from England on holidays was staying with Carol's in-laws. Ian, used to be a steam engine driver in England in his younger days and naturally was thrilled to come along. Once the engineer found out about him, Ian was invited to ride on the engine.
Ian is tending to the boiler

It was a glorious sunny Sunday, perfect to travel through the Australian bush and for taking pictures.

The Rattler travels along through the pastures

Arriving at Imbil at lunch time, everyone looks for a place to eat, while the engineers maneuver the engine to the other end of the train.
The train at Imbil waiting for the return journey

Visit more Scenic Sunday Blogs all around the world - CLICK HERE

17 comments:

  1. Wunderbare Fotos. Schön, dass es Menschen gibt, die sich für den Erhalt und den Betrieb von alten Dampflokomotiven einsetzen. Welches Kind weiss denn noch, wie eine Dampflok funktioniert? Auch hier in Deutschland gibt es Vereine oder Klubs, die Fahrten mit alten Loks anbieten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I love this. I was down at our Rail Heritage Centre yesterday trying to work out a good day for a steam engine ride. They are not cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fantastic captures...each one a beauty, and so nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see, sounds like a fun ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, that's how trains should look. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait for me! Can I hop on? Very nice pictures and scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love trains! They are magical. My Grandfather worked on trains in Minnesota. Sure looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome photos! My son would love this..

    My first Scenic Sunday, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. was this the place where they have Thomas the tank engine. My bro took his children there and asked if I wanted to go. I didn't as i wasn't very keen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photographs! I love these old steamers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic Blog Header Photo!
    Greetings from Berlin:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. always nice to see an old steamtrain. Makes me remember the one I saw when viviting Castlemaine on my Oz-trip some years ago

    Christina, Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the train shots. My grandfather was a train man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like a lovely day for a train ride. Aren't those old trains fabulous?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really nice shots! Thanks for telling me about the coincidence of photos. Your blog is much more attractive than mine but I don't have a lot of time to spend on my entries, so appreciate every visit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love trains!I had a great experience during my trip to Switzerland,many years ago!
    Fantastic trip.

    ReplyDelete