McWhirters Department Store in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, 1938
McWhirters Store was erected in four stages on land acquired between 1899 and 1929, by Brisbane draper, James McWhirter of the firm of McWhirter & Son Ltd (later McWhirters Ltd).
It’s founder James McWhirter had arrived in Australia in 1878, from Ayshire, Scotland.
From its establishment in 1898, McWhirters Ltd expanded rapidly from a small drapery business to become one of Brisbane's largest and most sophisticated departmental retailers, with the principal store occupying over an acre of land bounded by Brunswick, Wickham and Warner Streets, at the well known Valley Corner.
Today, McWhirters are long gone and the building now houses individual shops and eating places.